It’s been a while since I had a real update regarding CM7 …
** [UPDATE 10/18 PM] Phone now works in the newest build. And I included the missing Usb file so charging and SD share work as well. See download link below. **
I’m not sure I would call this a beta.. it’s more of an alpha and very untested.
As long as you know that there are still critical features of the phone which don’t work (read as: making a phone call), then I think it’s safe to open up beta testing and let whoever wants have a bit of fun on their Droid 3.
I recommend that before you start, take a gander at this post on the installation process in Safestrap: Beta testing CM7 w/ Safestrap
For open items / bugs please use the Bug Tracker
Now that I’ve lost the crack-flashers, let’s talk about what is working in this build:
- Phone, Wifi, Internal SD Card, Audio, GPS, etc. Feel free to flash gapps and test away.
What isn’t working:
- Camera app will blow you back to the Boot Animation
- Phone app will FC on the boot, just close the notification and continue. 3G service restarts immediately.
- Only 1 SD card for now (internal). I have some code to fix in the MountService. It’s trying to mount the external card with the options that are added in the vold.fstab (“/mnt/sdcard:none:lun1″ has a funny smell to it)
Why did this take so long? In theory you an scan the changelog for good night-time reading.. but here’s a summary:
- To keep it short: I’m a noob. I’ve never ported a phone or coded any lower level stuff for Android till September when I got my Droid 3. So in several cases I had to do things 2-3 times to get it right.
- OMAP4 code for Android devices is in a huge state of flux for Gingerbread. It’s like trying to break into the “cool club” that’s guarded by a 7 foot bouncer who has crazy eye.
- CM7’s hardware code was added about 7 days ago.
- the matching OMAP4 code for the framework is still being patched, but available via review.cyanogenmod.com for those that know about it.
- And then it still needs to be updated and tweaked.
- I didn’t want this to be a BAD CM7. So, taking the time to make sure it was optimized correctly for the phone was important (see above about OMAP4)
- Motorola is doing some odd things with their official GB builds. They added users/groups which aren’t stock. Those users are sprinkled throughout some of the binaries for which I don’t have source. “battd” for example starts out with root permissions and drops to mot_pwirc (user 9000). So after days of troubleshooting and banging my head against various hard objects, I added these special users to my init and system to make this build work.
- I did get some HUGE help from several devs and want to make sure they’re called out:
- Arcee has been the lone ranger for OMAP4 stuff for about 3-4 months (LG Optimus 3D). You can thank him for the majority of the CM7 frameworks/base code which has been optimized. (I actually tried doing what he did for the framework initially, and ended up ditching it in favor of his work because it’s much more complete).
- the “cyanogenmod-dev” IRC channel (Turl, Epsylon3, et al) had some helpful hints at times when I was sort of lost.
- I used the Droid2WE board config as a starting point (RevNumbers, jbirdvegas)
- And I pulled some initial config stuff from CVPCS’s Bionic board as well.
Enjoy the AOSP ROM goodness and have fun.