Today, I put the finishing touches on the Droid 3 Bootstrap application.
Once installed on your Droid 3, you can use it to install a ClockworkMod-based Recovery that I talked about a few days ago. Where you can make backups, perform restores and apply .zip files (though you better know that the update.zip is safe for the Droid 3).
[ NOTE: This requires that your phone be rooted. And, this is not a REAL recovery. Read as: If you “reboot recovery” you will still end up at the stock recovery. If you mess the /system up so that it doesn’t get passed line 104 in the init.rc: YOU WILL NOT ENTER RECOVERY and probably bootloop. Be aware and know that you still may need to fastboot recover if you can’t get into the recovery. ]
That being said, it is also very good.
Tested successfully on XT862(Droid 3), and XT860(Motorola XT860 4G)
- /boot and /recovery partitions are disabled while we have a locked bootloader
- /pds is disabled for privacy reasons
- /preinstall contains the actual recovery files so I’ve disabled that as well — no messing with /preinstall
- Supports dual SD cards by offering a choice on most backup/restore/zip options (thanks Romracer and Atrix devs)
- Verify option added to backup menu (thanks Romracer and Atrix devs)
- Accessing recovery should live through a “wipe data” as all of the files are on /preinstall partition
- Boot into recovery by using the “Boot Menu” (power + the ‘m’ key) and select “BP Tools”
- The “Droid 3 Bootstrap” app allows for removing the recovery from your system if you want to go back to stock.
- Supports ADB access in the recovery. [Linux only as reported currently.]
Demo Video by kshen1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grL-xOPOEHo&feature=player_embedded
- The recovery currently requires a “busybox” with the “which” applet. I’ll be removing this requirement in future versions. But you’ll know when you don’t have it, if you get a “Installation complete.” message and the Status shows “Not installed”
- I think the qHD launcher has an issue with 1 of the permissions of the APK. If you use that launcher and get “Application is not installed” when clicking on the icon, try changing launchers and installing the APK, then going back to qHD. [This may also be fixed — need confirmation.]
- Occassionally, the checkbox for “Recovery Active” isn’t selected after clicking on the “Install Recovery” button. If this happens, checkmark it manually. THIS MUST BE CHECKED TO BOOT INTO RECOVERY.
- USB Mount won’t work because we are booting “BP Tools” mode. This deallocates the USB LUN devices in the OS. [Possibly change the boot mode selection later to allow for this.]
There are quite a few people who contributed in some way to get this made:
- The Atrix devs were very helpful getting this rolling: Edgan with 2nd-init, Romracer for his recovery mods and fix for the graphics issues.
- I “borrowed” some settings from cvpcs’s bionic setup while troubleshooting some issues that cropped up later.
- The IRC folks in #KrazyK helped test this backwards and forwards. All the way to having to fastboot reinstall. Thanks guys. (Screenshots were done by TheDeathly)
- The icon was designed by b16a2smith from RootzWiki
- P3droid contributed some disclaimer code for the APK
Enjoy the recovery and please if you have any issues: Check the support forum on RootzWiki (coming soon) OR email me directly: email@example.com.